It isn't about Massimo Cellino, It's about Leeds United

Yesterday we found out the news that the Football League had disqualified Massimo Cellino as owner of Leeds United. We also know that until March 2015 Cellino cannot be connected with the club, this is when his conviction is 'spent'. This news was a shock to me because of the feel good factor the club and fans had after our victory against Derby on Saturday, but it's still unsurprising because of course it is Leeds United we're talking about here.

At the moment there is still lots of questions that are unanswered but the main thing is, that this isn't about Massimo Cellino its about Leeds United. To me the Football League should have the 72 clubs best interests at heart and should be trying to protect these clubs and with this decision it certainly isn't protecting Leeds United. 

Cellino has his lovers and haters but you can't argue with the fact that he has steadied the ship at Leeds with the amount of money he's put in, well I certainly believe this. He might want to sign his own players and give managers nowhere near the right amount of time to succeed but to me he's at least invested in players, good ones too. 

You can go in to the whole argument about why other club owners aren't barred/disqualified from owning their clubs but this isn't a concern to me. The only thing I'm concerned about is the club I support and for the first time in years I've felt the we are gaining momentum and the man behind this is Massimo Cellino. 

What happens now? This is what everyone is asking, the only thing I know is the decision the Football League made was wrong, a lot of people may disagree but how is this helping Leeds United? We've seen and heard from Cellino recently and he said he won't be selling the club regardless, it also looks like he will be fighting this thing all the way, as I expected he would. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not exactly rumpole but couldn't he just sign control of the club over to his son then sign it back to massimo in march

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an idea that comes to your head but I don't think its as easy is that. Cellino said it was his family business (Eleonora Sports) that bought the club and invested, not HIS money.

      Delete